Sep 25 , 2020
Latest Blog from 4aKid
Layers of double chocolate brownie, salted caramel cheesecake and wisps of spun toffee combine to make the ultimate dessert. You will need to start this recipe a day in advance.
- 5 gelatine leaves
- 500g cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/2 cup caramel syrup, plus extra to serve 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips, chopped
- 600ml thickened cream, whipped
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE:
300g butter, chopped
200g milk chocolate, chopped
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/3 cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Make Double Chocolate Brownie: Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease 2 x 6cm-deep, 20cm square cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper. Place butter, milk chocolate and dark chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is smooth and combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla and egg. Sift over flour and baking powder. Stir well to combine. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans. Level tops with a spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of brownies comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool completely in pans.
- Turn brownies onto a board. Wash and dry one of the pans. Grease pan. Line base and sides with 4 layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above all edges. Return 1 brownie to pan, top-side down.
- Place gelatine in a small bowl. Cover with cold water. Stand for 5 minutes. Remove the gelatine from the water, squeezing out excess water. Place in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook for 1 minute or until gelatine has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in gelatine until combined. Gradually beat in cream until mixture thickens and is well combined. Beat in caramel syrup and salt.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the peanut butter chips over the brownie in pan. Spoon cheesecake mixture into pan. Level top with a spatula. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until almost firm but top is still sticky. Place remaining brownie, top-side down, on cheesecake layer. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place remaining sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Boil, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture turns golden. Remove from heat. Stand for 1 minute to thicken slightly and allow bubbles to subside. Using 2 forks, back to back, carefully dip into hot toffee mixture and drizzle back and forth over prepared tray to form thin strands of toffee. Stand for 15 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, turn cheesecake onto a serving plate. Stand for 15 minutes. Top with whipped cream. Decorate with spun toffee and drizzle with extra caramel syrup. Serve.