Feb 23 , 2021
Latest Blog from 4aKid
The ultimate potato bake!!! Potato + cream + cheese with a hint of garlic and thyme created by the French = pure heaven.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cream, full fat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1.25 kg / 2.5 lb starchy potatoes, Russet, Sebago, Maris Piper (Note 2)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) gruyere (or mozzarella) cheese, grated (Note 3)
- 2 tsp thyme leaves, fresh (optional - but highly recommended)
Place butter, cream and garlic in a jug. Mix until combined.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8"/3 mm thick. Or use a slicer!
Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Note 3), then pour over 1/3 of the cream, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
Repeat for the 2nd and third layer, but do not finish with cheese on the top layer (will add later).
Cover with lid or foil, and bake for 1 hr 15 min or until the potatoes in the middle are soft (use knife to test).
Remove foil, top with cheese. Bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes until golden and bubbly. Stand 5 minutes before serving.