Dec 13 , 2016
Arancini (Rice Balls) with Marinara Sauce. A great way to use leftover rice!
Yield: 8 arancini Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 5 min
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled (See Kelly’s Notes)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 eggs
- 8 small cubes fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- Place a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat and add enough vegetable oil to rise 4 inches in the pot.
- Combine the rice, Parmesan and 1 egg in a medium bowl and use your hands to thoroughly combine the mixture.
- Form each rice ball by taking a small portion of the mixture, squeezing it firmly and stuffing one cube of mozzarella inside each ball. Repeat this process to form 8 servings.
- Whisk together the remaining 2 eggs. Dip each in the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
- Once the oil reaches 375ºF, add 2 or 3 of the breaded arancini to the pot and fry them until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried arancini from the pot and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate. Immediately salt the arancini. Repeat the frying process with the remaining arancini.
- Serve warm with a side of warm marinara sauce.