Conditions Similar to ADHD
- December 13, 2016
- AQ Web Sol
Several conditions may be confused with, or appear along with, ADHD
Several conditions may be confused with, or appear along with, ADHD. Those suspected of having ADHD should have a complete evaluation, including a physical examination, to help determine exactly what is contributing to the problematic behaviours.
Among the possible causes of ADHD-like behaviour are:
- A sudden life change (such as divorce, a death in the family, or moving)
- Undetected seizures
- Thyroid problems
- Lead toxicity
- Sleep problems
It is also quite common for other medical conditions to occur along with ADHD. In fact, it has been estimated that nearly 75% of adults with ADHD have another condition that complicates the diagnosis and management of ADHD.
For example, some studies have shown:
- Mood disorders, like depression and bipolar disorder, exist in 19% to 37% of adults with ADHD.
- Anxiety problems exist in 25% to 50% of adults with ADHD.
- Alcohol abuse exists in 32% to 53% of adults with ADHD.
- Other types of substance abuse, including marijuana and cocaine use, occur in 8% to 32% of adults with ADHD.
- Twenty percent of adults with ADHD also have learning disabilities, particularly problems like dyslexia.
- For children with ADHD, academic difficulties are common. Other problems among children include:
- Learning disabilities; data from the 1997-98 National Health Interview Survey suggest roughly half of children ages 6-11 may also have a learning disorder.
- Conduct and oppositional defiant disorder which manifests as disruptive or even criminal behaviour
- Depression and anxiety
- Relationship problems with peers; estimates are as high as 21% of the number of children with ADHD (versus 2% of children without ADHD) whose behaviour interferes with friendships. This may result in depression, anxiety, substance abuse problems, and delinquency as teenagers.
These Baby Sleeping Tents include a soft cotton-padded mattress, pillow as well as an attached mosquito net. Baby sleeping tents are ideal to place in the centre of your bed (while supervised), inside the cot or even outdoors while at the beach or in the park! This self-expanding tent pops open instantly and can be [...]
When trying to get pregnant naturally, the most important factor is to understand the menstrual cycle and the timing of ovulation, which leads to the optimum chances of getting impregnated. Here is a guideline determining signs of ovulation.
Pick the Gender of Your Baby is an extraordinary ebook written by an extraordinary author. Her passion is to help anyone looking to have the family of their dreams. The ebook is well written and is easy to understand. It’s like you’re inviting Ashley into your home and have her explain how to conceive the baby gender of your choice!
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) South Africa wants to encourage consumers to reduce the amount of waste usually associated with the holidays.
Breastfeed your newborn without pain within minutes. Give yourself and your baby the best healthy start with our set of Breastfeeding help videos. Expert advice from internationally renowned lactation expert and nurse Kate Hale.