Mar 22 , 2018
Take your popcorn treat to the next level!
Yield: 18 pieces
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 4 quarts (16 cups) freshly popped popcorn (made from about 2/3 cup popcorn kernels and 3 tablespoons canola oil — work in batches if necessary)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (do not use imitation maple syrup)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), plus additional for greasing
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Lightly butter the inside of a large bowl. Pour warm popcorn into a buttered bowl.
- Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, maple syrup, butter, salt and cream of tartar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, stirring often. Attach the candy thermometer to the inside of the pan. Continue heating undisturbed until temperature reaches 268F (hard-ball stage), about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat; stir in nuts. Slowly drizzle sugar mixture over popcorn, tossing gently with a spatula.
- Working quickly and wearing rubber gloves that you’ve buttered, gather about 1/2 cup of the coated popcorn together at a time, and form into balls without compacting too tightly.