PREPARING YOUR CHILD FOR “BIG SCHOOL”
- January 03, 2020
- Ally Cohen
According to Adele Keyser*, teacher and contributor to the Worksheet Cloud website, the 5 key areas of school readiness are:
- Physical and Motor Development: including gross motor skills, fine motor skills, perceptual development (both visual and auditory), and taking care of themselves.
- Emotional and Social Development: emotionally well-adjusted and gets along with peers, can express feelings and needs, can share, can sit still for a period of time, can concentrate on a task for a reasonable amount of time and able to deal with frustration in an acceptable way.
- Cognitive Development: can make independent decisions and follow through, has ideas of their own, can follow simple directions or instructions and shows an interest in learning.
- Language Development: (this includes literacy, listening, speaking and vocabulary): should be able to communicate effectively in home language, be able to sequence (retell a story or a set of events) and identify similarities and differences between objects.
- Emotional maturity: independence, reasonable control over emotions, basic problem solving skills, confidence, shows responsibility and handles separation well.
So, how can you help your child to be school-ready?
Adele has the following tips to offer:
- Read to your child.
- Teach your child songs, nursery rhymes and poems.
- Take your child on excursions e.g. to a museum.
- Make regular opportunities for play-dates.
- Play games so that your child starts recognising colours, numbers and letters.
By the time children are entering Grade 1, they should:
- Have minds crammed with concrete and semi-concrete experiences.
- Have been exposed to abstract concepts in concrete ways for years.
- Use the language spoken in the Grade 1 classroom spontaneously to converse, learn and reason.
- Have had ample opportunity to play outside, so that they are now ready for and eager to experience the primary school adventure.
Read the full article here: http://www.motherandchild.co.za/family-planning/preparing-your-child-for-big-school/
There are loads of beautiful sandy beaches and many wonderful reserves to choose from in Durban. Summertime is a blast as the sun rises at 4:30 am, providing more time for fun things to do with the kids. Here is a bucket list of exciting child-friendly activities and places to visit.
These Baby Sleeping Tents include a soft cotton-padded mattress, pillow as well as an attached mosquito net. Baby sleeping tents are ideal to place in the centre of your bed (while supervised), inside the cot or even outdoors while at the beach or in the park! This self-expanding tent pops open instantly and can be [...]
When trying to get pregnant naturally, the most important factor is to understand the menstrual cycle and the timing of ovulation, which leads to the optimum chances of getting impregnated. Here is a guideline determining signs of ovulation.
Pick the Gender of Your Baby is an extraordinary ebook written by an extraordinary author. Her passion is to help anyone looking to have the family of their dreams. The ebook is well written and is easy to understand. It’s like you’re inviting Ashley into your home and have her explain how to conceive the baby gender of your choice!