STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING
- October 08, 2019
- Ally Cohen
yield: ABOUT 10 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MIN
cook time: 30 MIN
- 8 oz (225 g) soft dates (such as medjool), pitted and finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) hot coffee (1 cup boiling water mixed with 1-2 tsp of instant espresso powder)
- 1 ½ (225 g) cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (85 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (125 g) brown sugar (I used dark Muscovado but light is fine too)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (170 g) brown sugar
- ¾ cup (190 mL) heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla (didn't add it in the video, but I always like adding vanilla in desserts)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9-inch pan with butter (a 9 inch square pan is fine too).
- In a small bowl, stir together the chopped dates and coffee and set aside. The coffee adds a nice level of depth to the cake, and you can barely taste it. But if you would prefer, use hot water instead. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together until creamy and light. You can use any kind of brown sugar you like. I prefer Muscovado because it has a richer flavor.
- Gradually add in the eggs and vanilla and beat for several minutes.
- Stir in ½ of the flour mixture, followed by the date mixture, followed by the rest of the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Pierce the cake multiple times using a skewer or chopstick. This ensures that the cake will absorb all of the toffee sauce.
- To prepare the toffee sauce, combine the butter, brown sugar and cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it melts and bring it to a boil. Reduce the flame to medium-low and boil for around 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. You can also do this step in the microwave, stirring after every minute.
- Add the salt, and you can also add 1 tsp of vanilla extract should you wish. In the video, the sauce appears darker than normal due to the color of the sugar. A lighter brown sugar will result in a lighter toffee sauce.
- Pour the toffee sauce over the cake, reserving ½ cup for topping.
- Serve the cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, then drizzle some of the remaining sauce over the top.
- I usually store the cake in the refrigerator and then microwave a piece when it is ready to eat.
These Baby Sleeping Tents include a soft cotton-padded mattress, pillow as well as an attached mosquito net. Baby sleeping tents are ideal to place in the centre of your bed (while supervised), inside the cot or even outdoors while at the beach or in the park! This self-expanding tent pops open instantly and can be [...]
When trying to get pregnant naturally, the most important factor is to understand the menstrual cycle and the timing of ovulation, which leads to the optimum chances of getting impregnated. Here is a guideline determining signs of ovulation.
Pick the Gender of Your Baby is an extraordinary ebook written by an extraordinary author. Her passion is to help anyone looking to have the family of their dreams. The ebook is well written and is easy to understand. It’s like you’re inviting Ashley into your home and have her explain how to conceive the baby gender of your choice!
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) South Africa wants to encourage consumers to reduce the amount of waste usually associated with the holidays.
Breastfeed your newborn without pain within minutes. Give yourself and your baby the best healthy start with our set of Breastfeeding help videos. Expert advice from internationally renowned lactation expert and nurse Kate Hale.