Dec 13 , 2016
Toblerone Ice Cream Cake – Need I say anymore? A definitely show stopper – and you can totally make it as easy or as complex as you would like.
For the cake:
- 1 + ½ cups (190g) plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 + ½ cups (335g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (40g) cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 + ½ cups (375ml) boiling water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) canola oil
For the ice cream:
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, room temp
- pinch of salt
- 2oz (50g) Toblerone
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 + ¼ cups (310ml) heavy cream
- ⅔ cup (150g) sugar
- 2 tbsp glucose syrup
- ⅓ cup (40g) cocoa powder
For the topping:
- 4 oz (100g) dark chocolate
- 2 tsp honey
- ⅓ cup (85ml) heavy cream
- More Toblerone, to decorate
- The day before you want to eat the cake (at least) make the ice cream base as well as the cake layers.
- For the cake, grease and line an 8 inch (18cm) cake tin, and then preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, cocoa as well as the baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Pour in the water, and stir well to combine. Add the eggs, one by one, stirring well between each, and finally, pour in the canola oil, and beat well until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched, and a skewer inserted comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Set aside to cool completely in the tin.
- To make the ice cream, place the cream cheese and salt into a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth. Finely chop the chocolate, and add it to the cream cheese.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the milk mixture, and mix it with the cornflour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the remaining milk, the cream, sugar, glucose and cocoa into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking to combine. Boil for four minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and whisk in the cornstarch-milk mixture. Place back on the heat and cook for a further minute, or until slightly thickened.
- Pour the now-thickened mixture into the cream cheese and Toblerone bowl, whisking slowly as you go, until everything is incorporated and the Toblerone is melted.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge completely (preferably overnight).
- When ready to assemble the cake, churn the ice cream in an ice cream machine as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Trim and the top of the cake, and slice into two even layers. Line the cake tin (preferably a springform tin), with several layers of cling wrap, and place a cake layer on the bottom. Scoop out the churned ice cream and fill the cake, then top with the remaining cake layer, and cover. Freeze for at least four hours, prior to serving.
- When ready to serve, melt together the chocolate, honey as well as the cream and pour over the cake.
- Decorate with the remaining Toblerone pieces, as desired. EAT!