May 05 , 2017
More than just a hearty breakfast cereal, Weet-Bix can also be used for baking – who would have thought!?
Come on through and see just how you can pack some healthy iron into a lunch box with these Weet-Bix Chocolate Slice Recipe treat.
- 3 Weet-Bix biscuits
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 180g butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the icing
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- Freckles are completely optional for decorating – a sprinkle of coconut is just as good!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, sugar and well crushed Weet-Bix biscuits.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa to the Weet-Bix mix and stir to combine.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe jug and pour over the dry mixture. Add the lightly beaten egg and the vanilla. Mix well to combine, making sure there are no dry pockets of the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Press with a glass or mini rolling pin to ensure the mix is tightly packed and level (or risk it becoming crumbly!). Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Leave the slice in the tin on a cooling rack and prepare the icing – you need to ice while the slice is still warm!
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa together and add the water. Mix until smooth and spread it carefully over the top of the warm slice (still in the tin). Add Freckles or a sprinkle of coconut and lightly press into the icing to stick.
- Let it cool completely and my hot tip – let it sit in the freezer for half an hour before slicing to reduce the chance of crumbling. This recipe yields 16 pieces.