Jun 01 , 2021
Latest Blog from 4aKid
An amazingly delicious tart that is also incredibly easy to make! Ban for banana + offee for toffee = Banoffe tart (pie).
- 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk or caramel condensed milk
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) thick custard
- 1 package of tennis biscuits (digestive or graham crackers)
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 small bar of chocolate
MAKE CARAMEL: (or use caramel condensed milk) The first step can be done way ahead of time. Remove the label on the condensed milk and submerge the unopened can in pot of water. Cover and boil for 2.5 hours. Warning: Be sure to keep the can covered by water at all times!!
Boil for 1 hour if you’re using a pressure cooker. Allow the can to cool (do NOT open when still hot. It will explode.)
MAKE THE CRUST: (or use a ready-made crust.) Grind up the biscuits in a food processor. Melt the butter in microwave and pour into crumb mixture. Blend until you have a moist mixture. Smooth wet crumbs into pie plate to make a crust. Put in the fridge for 15-20 min.
MAKE WHIPPED CREAM (You can skip this step entirely by using cool whip) Whip cold cream and vanilla on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
MAKE THE TART:
- Mix the caramel until smooth and pour on the crust.
- Cut the bananas into slices and arrange on top.
- Pour custard on the bananas.
- Spread whipped cream on top.
- Grate chocolate on the whipped cream.
- Put in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
Sandy Bersee Tip: you can empty a tin of condensed milk into a glass microwave container and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes depending on microwave and you have perfect caramel .... no more boiling for 3 hours!!