Jul 20 , 2019
HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH RECIPE:
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Oil (any oil will do, coconut oil, vegetable oil, even olive oil)
- 1/2 Cup of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
The secret to brilliant colors in your playdough is using gel food coloring. Gel food coloring is definitely the best dye for homemade playdough.
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH:
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of salt.
- Mix in 2 tbsp Cream of Tartar. (You can find this in the spice section of just about any grocery store.)
- Add 2 tbsp of oil. For this recipe I used vegetable oil, but you can use any oil, and as long as it’s a kitchen oil, your playdough will be non-toxic and safe if a little one takes a tiny taste. The sodium level is very high, so we don’t encourage this to double as a snack.
- Pour in the boiling water. Be VERY careful because this makes the dough HOT!
- Mix all the ingredients together until they form the dough. At this point, if you don’t want to add any food dye to your playdough, you’re finished!
- After it’s cooled, to make several different colors of playdough, separate the dough into equal parts and roll it up into balls.
- Now, punch out the middle of the ball to leave a little bowl for you to pour your gel food dye into.
- Drip your gel dye into the bowls. This is a great time to mix dye colors if you want to make another color.
- Knead the dough until the dye is thoroughly mixed. This is VERY messy! If you don’t want to stain your hands, use gloves, and make sure to put something down so you don’t stain your counter.