- December 13, 2016
- Lisa Goldberg
Unexpected ingredients in a tasty dessert are always fun.
Have you ever seen an Avocado Cheesecake? This unexpected ingredient makes this classic dessert creamier and healthier.
1 ½ cups of breadcrumbs
¼ cup sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 ripe avocados, flesh only
340g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ cups thickened cream
Zest of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lime
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C or 180°C fan-forced
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper
- To make the crust, place the breadcrumbs, sugar and melted butter in a bowl and mix until combined. Tip mix into the pan and using a mug with a flat base, press the crumb mix until an even and flat base is achieved. Place the base in the oven for 10 minutes then place aside to cool
- Whip the cream using electric beaters until stiff peaks are achieved
- Add all the remaining cheesecake ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add in the whipped cream and pulse until just combined
- Spoon the mix into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula
- Allow the cheesecake to chill overnight
- Before serving, decorate with slices of avocado, flowers and lime zest
Planning a week's worth of family meals on a budget in South Africa may seem daunting at first, but with the right strategies and resources, it becomes an attainable goal.