How to Make Popcorn Ice Cream The Easy Way
- March 16, 2021
- Lisa Goldberg
For all those ice cream and popcorn fans out there!
Recipe by Grace Stevens
- 4 large egg yolks
- 250ml Selati Castor Snow
- 400ml cream
- 350ml full cream milk
- 5 cups of popped popcorn (1 bag of microwave popcorn)
- 3ml salt
- In a large bowl, place ice blocks and water. Rest a second bowl over the ice to prepare for your ice cream.
- Combine milk and cream in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add popcorn and salt. Stir well.
- Allow to sit for at least 30mins, overnight is best.
- Pass milk and popcorn mixture through a sieve and squeeze out all the moisture.
- Discard popcorn.
- Bring the milk up to a simmer again. Do not boil.
- While milk is heating, beat egg yolks and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Remove a cup of the milk mixture and pour slowly into the egg mixture while beating on high.
- Add egg mixture to remaining milk and return to the stove.
- Allow mixture to thicken slowly. Remove from heat.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve into the prepared iced bowl.
- Stir the mixture until it cools completely.
- Place in a freezer-proof container and place in the freezer overnight.
- Serve with caramel popcorn and caramel sauce.
Planning a week's worth of family meals on a budget in South Africa may seem daunting at first, but with the right strategies and resources, it becomes an attainable goal.