Dec 13 , 2016
What you’ll need
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
How to make it
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, cream the butter until smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate and blend well.
- Add the 2/3 cup of confectioner’s sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth.
- Add the walnuts and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 to 2 hours or until it is firm enough to roll into balls.
- Heat the oven to 350. Form scant tablespoonfuls of the dough into 1-inch balls. Place the balls on two ungreased baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are set. Cool on the baking sheets for about 3 minutes. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Meanwhile, stir together the 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder in a shallow bowl. Carefully dip the warm cookies into the dust (that is, throw them in the mud) to coat.
- Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack. Roll again in the cocoa-confectioner’s sugar dust. These snowballs don’t need refrigeration — just store in an airtight container. Makes about 4 dozen Muddy Snowballs.
KIDS’ STEPS: Kids can help mix the cookie dough, shape it into balls, and roll the balls in the cocoa-confectioner’s sugar mud.