Double Chocolate Brownie & Salted Caramel Cheesecake
Layers of double chocolate brownie, salted caramel cheesecake and wisps of spun toffee combine to make the ultimate dessert. You will need to start this recipe a day in advance.
- 5 gelatine leaves
- 500g cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/2 cup caramel syrup, plus extra to serve 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips, chopped
- 600ml thickened cream, whipped
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE:
300g butter, chopped
200g milk chocolate, chopped
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/3 cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Make Double Chocolate Brownie: Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease 2 x 6cm-deep, 20cm square cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper. Place butter, milk chocolate and dark chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is smooth and combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla and egg. Sift over flour and baking powder. Stir well to combine. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans. Level tops with a spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of brownies comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool completely in pans.
- Turn brownies onto a board. Wash and dry one of the pans. Grease pan. Line base and sides with 4 layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above all edges. Return 1 brownie to pan, top-side down.
- Place gelatine in a small bowl. Cover with cold water. Stand for 5 minutes. Remove the gelatine from the water, squeezing out excess water. Place in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook for 1 minute or until gelatine has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in gelatine until combined. Gradually beat in cream until mixture thickens and is well combined. Beat in caramel syrup and salt.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the peanut butter chips over the brownie in pan. Spoon cheesecake mixture into pan. Level top with a spatula. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until almost firm but top is still sticky. Place remaining brownie, top-side down, on cheesecake layer. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place remaining sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high. Boil, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture turns golden. Remove from heat. Stand for 1 minute to thicken slightly and allow bubbles to subside. Using 2 forks, back to back, carefully dip into hot toffee mixture and drizzle back and forth over prepared tray to form thin strands of toffee. Stand for 15 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, turn cheesecake onto a serving plate. Stand for 15 minutes. Top with whipped cream. Decorate with spun toffee and drizzle with extra caramel syrup. Serve.