Oct 22 , 2020
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 25 MINS
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced chives
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes with cooked bacon, cheddar, chives, and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Place eggs and panko in separate shallow bowls. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 1” to 2” balls of mashed potato mixture. Roll into a ball in your hands, then dredge first in egg and then in panko. Repeat until all mashed potatoes are used.
- Heat 3” of oil in a large cast-iron skillet until candy thermometer reads 375°. Fry potato balls in batches until golden on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with more salt.