Apr 09 , 2019
This epic cake will leave you and your family in tears of utter bliss. And that condensed milk icing! Makes 1 triple layered caked
Ingredients For the milo cake:
185 g butter – softened
75 g castor sugar
4 extra large eggs
300 g Milo
300 g flour
4 tsp baking powder
180 ml milk
For the condensed milk icing:
275 g butter -softened
625 g icing sugar – sifted
375 g tinned condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line 3 x 20cm cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the butter and castor sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and mix well.
- Add the Milo and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, and gradually fold into the Milo mixture alternately with the milk.
- Divide the mixture between the 3 tins and bake for 35-40 mins until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tins for a few minutes before removing and setting aside to cool completely on a cooling rack.
In the meantime make the icing.
- Beat the butter until creamy then gradually add half the icing sugar and beat well.
- Add the tin of condensed milk and mix well.
- Finally add the remaining icing sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
Once the cakes have cooled completely, sandwich the cakes together with a thick layer of the condensed milk icing, then ice the top and sides of the cake.
Sprinkle a generous amount of Milo onto the top and sides of the cake.
This is best done with the cake on a cooling rack set on top of a baking tray to catch the excess Milo.
Cover and refrigerate the cake for 1 hour before serving.
The icing should be at room temperature when you ice the cake.
If it is a very hot day then you may need to refrigerate your icing for 30 minutes before you ice the cake.
If left in the fridge for too long it will become too hard and will need to be softened at room temperature again before using.
With time the Milo sprinkles on the outside of the cake will absorb moisture from the icing and become sticky so it’s best eaten on the day you make it.